The launch of the Trail

On the site of the Health Centre carpark and across the road from the Toll House stood the White Horse inn, one of three inns in the village at the start of the 20th century. Built in the late 18th century, it had ceased to be an inn by the early 1920s. The building was then used to provide accommodation for a few years, but was demolished in the mid-20th century. The White Horse was, most likely, one of the hostelries referred to in the First Statistical Account written in 1795, which commented: ‘By a community so actively employed, little time is wasted in idleness, intemperance, or political cabals. There are, however, five public houses in the parish, but they are chiefly frequented by travellers.’