Links and References
Many individuals and the All Killearn Archive have assisted in the preparation of material on this website. In addition, a wide variety of printed and online sources have been consulted. A selection of these sources is given below.
The Parish of Killearn. Three editions of this book have been published (in 1972, 1988 and 2009). All editions have been published by the Killearn Trust. The latest edition, edited by Fiona Glass, is available for purchase from the Co-op store in the village.
Old Killearn, Balfron and Fintry by John Hood, published in 2000. It contains annotated old photographs.
Strathendrick in Old Photographs by Mary Bruce and Alison Brown, published in 1990 by Stirling District Libraries.
Killearn Past and Present, published in 2006 as part of the Buchanan 500 celebrations. It contains a series of ‘then and now’ photographs.
The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland by John Gifford and Arneil Walker, published in 2002. Refer to entries for Killearn, Boquhan, Carbeth and Ballikinrain.
Strathendrick and its Inhabitants from Early Times by John Guthrie Smith, published in 1896. A digital edition of this book is available from the National Library of Scotland.
The Statistical Accounts of Scotland 1791–1845 website, provided by the University of Edinburgh Library, gives background on the First (or Old) Statistical Account (1791–99) and the Second (or New) Statistical Account (1834–45). It also contains the full text of both Accounts. Clink the links that follow for the texts on Killearn: in the First Account (opens PDF); in the Second Account (opens PDF).
The Third Statistical Account is currently only available in printed form. The entry for Killearn appears on pages 228–38 of Volume 18, The Counties of Stirling and Clackmannan, published in 1966.
For life in 19th-century Killearn, two diaries, both written by residents of Parkhall in Boquhan, give some insight. Both books cover much more than their life here. The first contains recollections from the early 19th century. The second comes from later in the century.
Autobiography of Mrs Fletcher, first published in 1874 and still in print. There is an online edition. Search for ‘Park Hall’ to see most relevant sections.
Diary of Sir Michael Connal, 1835 to 1893, published in 1895. There is an online edition.
A flavour of the area in 1902 is given by Buchanan’s Popular Illustrated Guide to Strathendrick, Aberfoyle and District. There is an online edition.
The National Library of Scotland provides digital images of many historical maps. The links below give direct access to a few of the available maps. Many other maps of the area are listed on their website.
The Pont map (East Central Lowlands), c. 1583–1614
The Roy map, c. 1755
Ordnance Survey maps of Killearn, 1864–1968
A list of websites linked to specific places or people connected to Killearn is being prepared. It will be added to these resources later in 2021.
Steering Group: Mike Gray, Nick Hawkins, Kerri MacPherson; Dave Pettigrew; Fiona Rennie; Christopher Riches, Richard Rolls; Kirstine Simpson; Rosie Whyte.
Website design and build – Martin Winter; Graphic design and branding – Neil Gallagher of Studio Muse; Archaeology – Gavin MacGregor of Northlight Heritage.
Funding: National Lottery Heritage Fund; Killearn Courier, KCFC.
Permissions: Stirling Council; Killearn Trust; Killearn Kirk; The Buchanan Society.
Contributors and Advisors: Murray Cook, Stirling County Archaeologist; Peter and Gill Smith, All Killearn Archive; Kay Roxby; Anne Lindsay; Lorna Sherman; Andy Summers; John Matthews; Helen Banks; David Mackay; Sandy Benson, Ailsa Woodrow and the staff and pupils of Killearn Primary School; Fiona Glass; Killearn Community Council; and the people of Killearn – past and present.
With special thanks to Jim Fallas, who provided advice based on his great knowledge of village history, but who sadly died before the Heritage Trail was completed.
Boards: manufactured by Shelley’s Signs. Installation by Mark Gibson; Ado Adolphus; Millar Shaw; Colin Kerr; Stephen Crawford; Neil Smith; Stephen and Kyle Cunningham – CMIX.
The Killearn Heritage Trail is a project of Killearn Community Futures Company (KCFC).