Drumbeg Loan was the lane that led to Drumbeg farm. In the process of farm amalgamations, Drumbeg farmhouse was demolished. The farm buildings used to be quite a way down the hill on the right-hand side.
The development of Drumbeg Loan started at the top. The first house to be built, in the late 19th or early 20th-century was initially called Drumbeg Cottage (later called Torridon and now Kilchoan). From 1914 to 1939, it was run as a small private school by two sisters, Helen and Isobel Wallis-Smith (Helen was a qualified teacher and Isobel a district nurse). It provided education for girls between the ages of 6 and 13 and had some weekly boarders. More can be found out about the school here.
Across the road from Torridon was the site of a Prisoner-of-War camp in the Second World War.
A number of large houses were built between the two World Wars, and further houses were built thereafter. One of the more surprising houses is Drumwhirn, a 1930s thatched house in an English vernacular style. It was listed in 2001. It is thought that there are only around 200 thatched houses in Scotland, and many are much smaller buildings than Drumwhirn. Why a thatched designed was deliberately selected for the west of Scotland remains a mystery.
Number 16 is a striking late 1960s house designed by Donald Downie. A little further down the hill, just before number 20, is a house designed by Ewan Cameron Architects that won a Commendation in 2019 from the Glasgow Institute of Architects. Only the entrance can be seen from the road.