A growing village
While the 18th-century village was centred around the Old Kirk, there were also houses scattered along the road to Strathblane.
Just across the main road from the site of this board is Blacklands, dating from around 1805. Opposite is a house dating from 1791, originally known as Maggie Harper’s croft. Most of its land is now occupied by the houses of Harper’s Road. The house’s position, below the level of today’s road, may indicate the original road level.
Further along, at the top of the slope is Kirkhouse Road, the site of the former kirkhouse or manse (the house of the minister) before it moved to the centre of the village in the 1820s.
Just beyond there, a six-arched stone aqueduct crosses the Kirkhouse Burn. It is part of 41.5-km (26-mile) water pipeline from Loch Katrine to Milngavie and then Glasgow, opened in 1859. The pipeline only drops 16 cm every 1 km and the water flows by gravity alone.
Heading into the village, Lilybank, just before Graham Road, was built in 1781 by Alexander Dun, and it remained in the same family until 1971. Once a shop, it also housed the telephone exchange until the 1950s. Further along, a red sandstone building contained two shops (one now the Co-op store) with separate stabling for horses.
Did you know
On the edge of the village, at the top of Drumbeg Loan, a small prisoner-of-war camp was established in 1943, accommodating around 50 prisoners in two huts.