Blacklands, on a raised site, comprises two cottages which date from 1805. The main part of the building was a four-room cottage and attached to it was a two-roomed cottage. A distinctive feature of the building is the elaborately carved stone at one end of the building where the corner of the house and the roof meet. It is now a little obscured after the latest reroofing of the property. It is a surprisingly refined detail on such a house.
Blacklands was acquired by Killearn Trust in 1968 from the last owner, Miss Mary Carr. Financial help was given by John Kelly who lived at Cleveden, the large house behind Blacklands that was built on its former croft land. The two cottages have been upgraded and are rented out by the Killearn Trust.